Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Brigadeiros

I read somewhere about this simple Brazilian dessert that is suppose to be the up and coming dessert this next year, it's called Brigadeiros. So I tried it out last night. The recipe is super simple and the recipe is really easy to follow.  It uses lots of sprinkles to cover the balls so I tried a few with sugar sprinkles and a few without anything.  I think coconut flakes, peanut bits or crushed graham cracker crumbs would be yummy to try as well.  

Here is the recipe:


Brigadeiros

Ingredients

  • 1 can (14 oz.) sweet and condensed milk
  • 3 Tbs. cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbs. butter
  • Cocolate sprinkles (or covering of choice)

In a saucepan over medium heat combine cocoa, butter and condensed milk.  Cook the mixture until it thickens enough to show the bottom of the pan during stirring (it will be firm enough to stay together and not spread)  Pour into a greased dish and let it cool to room temperature (or chill a few minutes in the fridge).  Grease your hands and take small amounts of candy and form into 1 1/2 inch balls.  Roll the balls in the chocolate sprinkles.  If the balls don't hold their shape cook an additional 5 minutes until it thickens up more.

Here are a few other ways to use this dessert.
 Hmmmm, covering strawberries!

Can be used as a frosting or filling in a cake.  To use as a frosting you can add some milk to thin out the mixture.

2 comments:

  1. Those look amazing. And yes, the graham cracker idea is a great...I think I like it because I am a sucker for s'mores and they kind of remind me of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Miss Heidi...I am awful with spelling/grammar errors these days. That should say "the graham cracker idea is great." Lol

    ReplyDelete