Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I feel like lately all I've blogged about is food but holiday events require food so I think its a good thing right? I promise I will get back to décor soon, I do need to post some great holiday décor I have been seeing. As I've watched baking shows and read baking blogs everyone raves about Red Velvet Cake. I think I've had it before but I don't really remember if I like it or not and Kolbe had never tried it so I decided I would make it. Our consensus was that they were just okay. The recipe was easy to follow and the texture and moistness was good.We felt like they were too oily, and rightfully so, the recipe called for a cup and a half of vegetable oil! The friends I delivered them to all loved them which tells me they were a success in general. I've included the recipe and an awesome to die for cream cheese frosting recipe, BUT be careful after you have made this frosting you will NEVER go back to the tub of frosting again, never!
Via Food Network

Red Velvet Cupcakes (as found on the Food Network website)

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 Tbs red food coloring- (I recommend the gel, I just added it in until I like the coloring)
  • 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake papers, this recipe will make 24 cupcakes.  In a medium mixing bow, sift the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder).  In a large bowl gently beat the wet ingredients (oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla extract). Add the sifted dry ingredients in to the wet mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.  Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins, about 2/3 filled (I like using a 1/4 cup measuring cup not quite all the way full). Bake in the oven for about 20-22 minutes.  Test with a toothpick for doneness.   Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting (I found this on the TLC website, the DC Cupcake girls did an online video demonstration, it is by far my husbands FAVORITE frosting)

  • 6 oz. Cream cheese
  • ½ cup of butter (1 stick)
  • 4 cups (1 lb.) of powdered sugar
  • ¼ tsp vanilla

Mix butter and cream cheese on med/high speed for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of powder sugar at a time until it is all mixed in. Right before last cup of sugar add in vanilla and scrape the down sides. Whip on high speed for 1-2 minutes to make light and fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment