Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Zuppa Toscana

Have you ever had the Suppa Toscana at the Olive Garden? My husband loves it and I found the recipe online the other day so I tried it for dinner.  Huge success, huge!  Here is the recipe, if you try it out I would love to know what you thought.  A recommendations: etween the sausage and the bacon there is a lot of meat, I would cut it in half or double the liquid and potatoes for a double batch.  Also I didn't put in the kale, Kolbe doesn't like it and while I was writing this post I googled what the benefits of kale are and the first link pops up "one of the the healthiest vegetables known to man!" Oh shoot, I guess next time I better put it in, just so we can have the healthiest vegetable known to man in our diet!
Photo via Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

Zuppa Toscana
(found on Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice)

  • 4 slices bacon, cut into a small dice
  • 1 pound hot Italian sausage, ground or links with casings removed
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups (32 ounces) chicken broth or stock
  • 3 cups Russet potatoes, cubed
  • sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
  • 2 loose packed cups kale, in bite size pieces
  • 1 cup heavy cream or 14 ounce can evaporated milk
  • Parmesan cheese, grated, for serving

1. In a large soup pot or sauce pan cook bacon over medium until crispy. Add sausage and break it apart as it cooks. Once sausage is browned and crumbled drain off the grease leaving a tablespoon or two to saute onion.

2. Push the sausage to the edges of the pot and add onion to center; saute until translucent; add garlic; saute until fragrant.

3. Stir in broth and potatoes, season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, simmer for about 20 minute or until potatoes are tender.

4. Add kale and heavy cream or evaporated milk. Bring to a simmer. Serve with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.

My photo, I don't claim to be a great photographer, thus why I use others photos or stock photos instead!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum again. You are just so amazing Miss Heidi. P.S. I love, love, love all of your cooking/baking posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... Zuppa Toscana soup is my FAVE! I'm def. going to try out this recipe. Great blog!

    http://modern-sophisticate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete