Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

If I were a sofa... would I be this one?


There is an assignment I have my students do to help them understand Harmony as a principle of good design. In this assignment they have to observe a random person and then design a sofa that represents that person. I want them to be able to take an abstract idea and execute it into something concrete. I want them to see how everything around them can be used to inspire design! And while I don’t think I was the inspiration of this amazing sofa can you just imagine the little old lady with a big floppy red hat and a long, flowing, patchwork skirt meandering down a busy street; her socks bulging out of her vintage high heeled shoes; her hands full of colorful bags; a pleased smile on her face; excited about her recent treasured finds? I most definitely can! And maybe if I’m lucky in 60 years I will be the inspiration for a sofa much like this one. How can we not be inspired by life every day?

3 comments:

  1. Hey love your blog!!!!!!!! Check ours out too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way this is jamie! I was logged into Kevs account. I left a huge long comment on your "hes not that into you post", but for some reason it did not get on there!!! OUr blog is kjhargreaves.blogspot.com I dont update it as much as I should, but I do get it updated! I am excited that you have a blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call me crazy, but I LOVE that sofa! If you were one, you'd be even greater. :-)

    ReplyDelete