Pages

Monday, March 9, 2009

Victorian Italianate Remodel

My good friend bought this amazing house (at my insistence) and is now beginning the daunting task of gutting and remodeling it. This 100+ year old house still has many of the great architectural features from the Victorian era. I'm not usually a fan of Victorian "clutter" (like gingerbread molding, turrets, finials, belt courses patterned shingles and wild color schemes) but the Italianate style has a classic look that I love. This style was inspired by country villas in northern Italy; it was considered very elegant with its asymmetrical design, flat roof, elaborately carved window surrounds and intricate glass work. I think by restoring and accenting the features of the late 1800's era while giving it a fresh modern update this house will awe its future visitors. Now if only the 15 layers of wallpaper would take themselves off the walls!

No comments:

Post a Comment